to mediaeval manuscripts in
Wallonia - Brussels
Welcome to our website!
The CICweb.be network
, the digital voice of the Centre International de Codicologie asbl, and the Ministère de la Communauté française de Belgique are happy to welcome you to their "Online Manuscript Guide / Wallonia-Brussels" website.
is a virtual and human network which currently comprises 37 establishments from Wallonia and Brussels, and includes several mediaeval manuscript specialists who are working together on the project.
With their help, CICweb.be is now able to offer a COLLECTIVE INVENTORY of all the mediaeval manuscripts held in Wallonia and Brussels in the form of an ONLINE GUIDE
has been focusing on three objectives over the past two years (June 2005-June 2007): to locate, inventory and describe all these manuscripts, whether they are illuminated or not and accessible or unaccessible to the public. It has created a multi-criteria online database based on this inventory.
The 1,300 manuscript descriptions are now online, ready for consultation:
- the online directory of institutions that have manuscripts in their possession
- the notices concerning their manuscript collections in general
- the descriptions of all the manuscripts in possession, via the online directory or via the two search forms (free or assisted)
- four PDF documents that will guide you during your search; these documents are available on the “search” and “search+” pages:
- a directory of authors
- a directory of generic terms, titles and keywords
- a directory of origins
- a glossary of technical terms
To find out more about the successive steps in the project since June 2005, consult the Calendar of Events Schedule
- The inauguration of the website will take place on 14th June 2007 at the headquarters of the Ministry of the French Community, 44 Boulevard Léopold II, 1080 Brussels. The press conference will be presided over by the French-speaking Community’s Minister of Culture, Audiovisual and Youth, Madame Fadila Laanan.
- Certain collections have not yet been listed in our database. The institutions concerned who wish to add to our general inventory may do so at any time and already participate in the project. How? By filling in the form below. Composed of three parts, it allows you to find out about each establishment that possesses manuscripts, the collections in general and each manuscript entity in particular. This form is available in PDF format and comes with instructions, also available in PDF format.
- These two documents can be printed out and/or downloaded onto your computer. If you are unable to open them, you can download Adobe Reader free of charge by clicking here.
- Furthermore, you can delegate the encoding of your collections to the site’s webmaster.
- Don’t hesitate to contact us! If you experience any difficulties in filling it in or in understanding certain fields on the form, you can let us know by phone or by e-mail.
- For this purpose, we offer assistance over the phone on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, from 09:00 to 16:00.
Please consult our Contact page where you will find all our details.
With the support of the French-Speaking Community of Belgium
With the collaboration of the Royal Library of Belgium
With the participation of Scriptorium/Bulletin Codicologique